Orangerie Museum

The setting planned by Monet in the Tuileries Garden to show off his Water Lilies series.

X
Book your stay
1 Adult
under 12
0 to 3
No charge for children under 12 years old
Contact our reception
for any information.
+33 (0)1 47 05 85 54 Local call rates
Le musee de l'orangerie a Paris

As its name suggests, the Orangerie Museum is located in a former orangery, built in 1852 by the architect Firmin Bourgeois and completed by his successor, Ludovico Visconti, to house the orange trees from the Tuileries Garden.


The history of the Orangerie Museum


In 1921, the building was given to the administration of the Beaux-Arts, who planned to turn it into an annexe of the Luxembourg Museum. Two years before, Claude Monet had donated The Water Lilies to the French state, soon after the armistice of 11 November 1918. It was then that Georges Clemenceau, a friend of the painter's and the head of the government at the time, asked Monet to set up  his work there. Opening on to the River Seine and the garden, the artist saw it as an ideal site for his work, with all the peace and quiet of the Tuileries Garden, while still being at the heart of the city of Paris. He conceived the site as a real area for meditation. The "Claude Monet Museum" was inaugurated in 1927, a few months after the artist's death.

The public discovered The Water Lilies in the form designed by the painter and staged by the architect Camille Lefèvre. Considered as the culmination of Monet's career, The Water Lilies are a collection of 300 paintings, covering two vast eliptic rooms: 2 metres high and almost 100 metres long, we see an aquatic landscape filled with water lilies and lit by natural light.

The work is inspired by Monet's familiar world: the water gardens on his estate in Giverny. As we walk on, we take possession of the landscape. From one room to the next, our eyes glide over the reflections of the water, plunging us deep in contemplation.


Renovation work needed


During the 1960s, work was undertaken to transform the museum and to house the Jean Walter and Paul Guillaume collection, which, however, disrupted Monet's original arrangements. The 144 pictures belonging to Paul Guillaume, a merchant and collector, and then by his wife Domenica, who later remarried the architect and industrialist Jean Walter, include works by Renoir, Cézanne, Le Douanier Rousseau, Matisse, Picasso, Derain, Modigliani, Soutine, Marie Laurencin and Utrillo.


Thanks to the renovation and extension work carried out since 2000, the Orangerie Museum can welcome the public to see the famous Water Lilies, now back at the heart of the museum and returned to the daylight, while the masterpieces of the Jean Walter and Paul Guillaume collection also benefit from natural lighting.

Team's best picks

Le Café Marly
"On the terrace of the Café Marly, you will feel like you are alone facing the Louvre pyramid. An exceptional site to enjoy a drink early in the evening or an unforgettable dinner."
93 rue de Rivoli - 75001 Paris
Open every day from 8 a.m. to 2 a.m.
Visit the website
Les Climats
"A restaurant that won its first Michelin star in February 2015, and offers refined and beautifully presented dishes in harmony with its speciality: the wines of Burgundy. Ideal for wine-lovers. A garden terrace at lunchtime in season."
41 rue de Lille - 75007 Paris
Open Tuesday to Saturday. Lunch and dinner service.
Visit the website